BIOLASE, Inc. is a medical device company that develops, manufactures, markets, and sells laser systems in dentistry and medicine. BIOLASE's products are focused on better enabling clinicians to repair and restore patient's dental conditions while reducing the pain, fear, and anxiety generally associated with dentistry. BIOLASE is committed to elevating the standard of care in dentistry, while enabling clinicians to achieve better business returns.
We are currently seeking a R&D Scientist Intern: Optical, Laser-based Systems to be based in Foothill Ranch, CA. This position provides expertise in the area of infrared and mid-infrared laser technologies, optics and laser-tissue interaction; assists in the development of next generation lasers and delivery systems; and drives the continual improvement of Biolase legacy Er,Cr:YSGG laser and diode lasers for dental applications. This role involves supporting both R & D programs and the development of commercial products. Position is based in beautiful Foothill Ranch (Orange County), California.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include (but not limited to):
• Assists in developing next-generation 3 µm lasers and laser systems
• Optical design of handpieces and fiber optics delivery systems for 3µm lasers. Hands-on development a must.
• Assists in building a solid foundation of knowledge and expertise within the organization related to lasers and optics from design conception, prototyping, testing, transition to manufacturing to service and maintenance
• Assists in system and sub-system verification as needed
• Prepares results and documentation and collaborates with engineering team to transfer research design to engineering and manufacturing.
• Participates in project planning, data review and design reviews
• Experienced using software for data analysis and modeling of optical, thermal, or laser device physics or interaction with tissue, including but not limited to ZEMAX
• Demonstrates basic knowledge of digital and analog devices
• Must be able to follow Design of Experiment process
• Possesses and applies working knowledge of FDA processes including Design Control
• Possesses and applies experience developing medical laser devices (preferred)
• Has high level of motivation, self-organization, multi-tasking, and analytical skills. Works with a sense of urgency in driving projects and sets ambitious goals
• Possesses and applies superior problem-solving skills and good verbal and written communication skills
• Is self-directed in experimental design, setup, execution, and analysis
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Masters degree, and currently enrolled in a PhD program related to Optics, Optical Engineering, Photonics, Physics, Bioengineering or related field.
BIOLASE is an EOE including disability/veteran