Provides expertise and leadership in the area of infrared and mid-infrared laser technologies, optics and laser-tissue interaction; advises and leads the development of next generation lasers and delivery systems; and drives the continual improvement of Biolase legacy Er,Cr:YSGG laser and diode lasers for dental applications. This role involves supporting both R & D programs and the development of commercial products
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include (but not limited to):
• Leads the efforts in developing next-generation 3 µm lasers and laser systems and provides technical direction to an interdisciplinary team developing advanced laser systems for dentistry and medicine
• Leads optical design of handpieces and fiber optics delivery systems for 3µm lasers. Hands-on development a must.
• Assists in building a solid foundation of knowledge and expertise within the organization related to lasers and optics from design conception, prototyping, testing, transition to manufacturing to service and maintenance
• Provides recommendations to the management and technical team regarding project vision and strategy
• Assists in creating and protecting intellectual property related to laser technology and applications
• Assists in system and sub-system verification as needed
• Prepares results and documentation and collaborates with engineering team to transfer research design to engineering and manufacturing.
• Supports early-stage clinical trials for new products.
• Participates in project planning, data review and design reviews
• Experienced using software for data analysis and modeling of optical, thermal, or laser device physics or interaction with tissue, including but not limited to ZEMAX
• Demonstrates basic knowledge of digital and analog devices
• Demonstrates basic knowledge of program management
• Must be able to follow Design of Experiment process
• Possesses and applies working knowledge of FDA processes including Design Control
• Possesses and applies experience developing medical laser devices (preferred)
• Has high level of motivation, self-organization, multi-tasking, and analytical skills. Works with a sense of urgency in driving projects and sets ambitious goals
• Possesses and applies superior problem-solving skills and good verbal and written communication skills
• Keeps track of competitive technologies including but not limited to DPSS and fiber lasers and advises on potential beneficial cooperation opportunities
• Is self-directed in experimental design, setup, execution, and analysis
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Doctoral Degree (PhD) or equivalent; or more than 10 years related experience and/or training in Electrical Engineering, Optics, Optical Engineering, Photonics, Physics or related field; or equivalent; or equivalent combination of education and experience.