AD Migration Lead
Position Description: The Active Directory Migration Lead provides support, implementation, and migration services for a migration between domains/forests within a Microsoft Windows Active Directory (AD) environment. The Active Directory Migration Lead is a subject matter expert in using Quest Migration Manager or other similar tools to perform migrations of Domain Users, Domain Member Servers and Domain Member Workstations. This role requires an in-depth knowledge of the Active Directory, Migration key concepts, troubleshooting, and a proficiency in PowerShell scripting. The candidate must have demonstrated prior and active experience in managing multi-domain issues. The candidate will support the continuing goal of consolidating the Department of State (DOS) migration efforts. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, someone who can work independently, act as a team leader for less experienced resources, and will be flexible in a fast-paced environment.
- Applies advanced subject matter knowledge to solve complex business issues and is regarded as a subject matter expert. Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of multiple factors.
- Acts as an expert providing direction and guidance to migration process improvements and establishing policies.
- Participates as a member of and leads migration teams. Performs analysis of complex functional and business requirements. Prepares migration process documentation for others. Documents steps to complete a migration solution. Designs migration solutions for others to execute. May provide mentoring and guidance to other migration engineers and support resources.
- Demonstrates technical leadership and exerts influence outside of the immediate team. Contributes to strategic direction for teams.
- Applies in-depth or broad technical knowledge to provide maintenance solutions across one or more technology areas.
- Independently implements end-user or enterprise infrastructure or services of significant complexity.
- Integrates technical expertise and business understanding to create superior solutions for the company and customers. Mentors and consults with team members and other organizations, customers, and vendors on complex issues.
- Exercises significant independent judgment within broadly defined policies and practices to determine the best method for accomplishing work and achieving objectives.
- Create and document detailed guides and tracking documents - for clients to leverage as part of Active Directory migration communications.
- Tier 3 level troubleshooting including diagnosing complex migration issues.
- Develop standards, target states, roadmaps, effectively communicating and obtaining consensus across architecture, engineering, and operations teams.
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree . Additional training and experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- Expert knowledge administering AD, AAD and ADFS in hybrid environments.
- Expert knowledge administering AD and AAD support services such as AAD Conditional Access Policies, AAD Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR), AAD Connect and Windows Server DNS
- Expert knowledge designing, testing, deploying and maintaining Active Directory Group Policy (GPO) for the purpose of securing Domain Controllers, Domain Member Servers and Domain Member Workstations
- Experience administering multiple AD forests with forest trusts.
- Knowledge of third-party AD support services such as Quest Active Roles, Quest Change Auditor for AD
- Must have a deep and thorough understanding of migration best practices,
- Extensive experience with infrastructure and server theories, principles, and concepts; application infrastructure and standards; networking fundamentals
- Experience as a subject matter expert (SME) Senior Active Directory System Engineer or Architect in a large AD environment with the proven ability to coordinate technical efforts and resolve issues across multiple teams.
- Strong working knowledge of Windows 2016 and 2019 Member Servers and Domain Controller operating systems platforms, DNS, networks, DMZs, network security zones
- PowerShell scripting experience and capabilities
- Must have (or be eligible to obtain) an Interim Secret Clearance to start work with the ability to obtain Top Secret
Skills & Experience
Active directory, windows, quest migration manager, PowerShell scripting, migrations